Sunday, January 4, 2015

Indoor Tri Race Report/Reflection and details on my 2015 race schedule

RACE REPORT/REFLECTION:  LTF INDOOR TRI

Alarm went off this morning at 6:45am and I have to say, I almost didn't get out of bed.  From the comfort of my bed, I checked the weather:  temperature in Omaha was -1 degree...literally.  Probably the only thing that got me out of bed was my realization that quitting on day 4 of the new training season was probably not a good indicator for a successful season.  After  a quick bagel and coffee, I drove to Lifetime Fitness for their annual Indoor Triathlon.  LTF Indoor Tri was my very first "triathlon" 2 years ago.  Two years and eight triathlons later, I'm no longer a "newbie."

I arrived at the gym and it was nice to see some familiar faces. My fellow Black Triathlete Association members Shayla and Travis Withers were in the race wave before me and pro triathlete and coach Morgan Chaffin was counting laps for the swimmers.  TNT member Deb Bahr was also on hand to count swim laps.

Today's indoor tri was really a time trial for me.  Test fitness, see where I am at this point.  Swim was fine - 19 lengths (475 yards) in 10 minutes.  It was a major improvement from my first time (12 lengths - 300 yards) but not nearly my fastest.  I've been fairly consistent with  my swimming in the off-season, but I've been slacking in distance and drills.  The bike was also fine.  It's hard to compare to my event 2 years ago because LTF is using different bike computers now.  However, I think my ride was definitely stronger:  10 miles in 30 minutes (20.1 mph average), decent power for me (averaged about 160 watts).  The run was not good:  2.08 miles in 20 minutes (9:36 per mile pace).  I have not been doing any speed work and I was really struggling with 5 minutes to go. 

Overall takeaways:  add speedwork into running, get the drills back into swim workouts, get comfortable with that uncomfortable feeling in all 3 disciplines.  And most importantly, consistency, consistency, consistency.

2015 PLANS

My plans for 2015 are ambitious.  Ben is developing a running and half ironman training plan for me and it's a little daunting.  The number of training hours per week are really going to push me.  Last year, I averaged 6 hours a week with a  few 8-9 hour weeks.  This year, 8-9 hour weeks become the norm and we'll have some 10-12 hour weeks as well.  Here's the basic rundown:

March - Hot Chocolate 15K - This race is in San Diego and I'll use it as a midpoint race-pace test, working towards Lincoln Half.  It's also spring break for Ben and me!

April - Omaha Duathlon - Fast and flat, this will be a 2.5 mile run-15 mi bike-2.5 mile run.  In some ways, I think the duathlon format is almost tougher than triathlon but it will be a good excuse to get on my bike outdoors.

May - Lincoln Half Marathon - I haven't had a good half since 2010 when I was training for the Chicago Marathon.  Hopefully, Ben's training plan will get me to a good place with this distance.  The main purpose of this race will be to force me into decent running shape for my "A" race - Ironman Steelhead 70.3.

June - Legend Olympic Triathlon - I'll be in full training mode at this point for my A race, so we'll see how this goes.  I've done a different race on this exact course (5150 Kansas) last year so I know what to expect. 

July - Omaha Triathlon - I've not done this race before but since I will have to miss Omaha Women's Tri this year (conflicts with Legend), I thought I'd give it a shot.

August - My "A" race - Ironman Steelhead 70.3 - my first half iron distance.  I was hesitant at first about taking on this distance in 2015, but I had a good race year in 2014, and I know I can do it with consistent training.  This is a race distance that will be completely unforgiving if you don't put in the training, so I really have to focus.

September - Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 Championships - This might just be the best value race in the sport of triathlon.  Tons of free gear, awesome race support and management, decent course and opportunity to watch the best pros IN THE WORLD compete.   I earned a spot in the championships last season in the Athena division and my performance at the 2014 Championships qualified me for this season.  This will be my last tri of the season and it's all about having fun...and maybe winning another awesome gift card!

No comments:

Post a Comment